Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much.

Sharleez Nadya -The Birth Story

2nd January 2006

Time Check: 9.20 a.m

I was still sleeping, while Tatek was in the kitchen having his breakfast. He had just came back from the night shift. I felt a very slight twinge and a gush. The night before, I had experienced mild tightenings but thought they were just the normal Braxton Hicks contractions. Initially, when I felt the gush of warm liquid coming out, I thought it was blood. I thought it was THE SHOW. But funny how the liquid just kept coming out. I just couldn’t control its flow, unlike urine. I didn’t move. I didn’t want to move. I was afraid to move. I was shock-still. I shouted for Tatek but since he was in the kitchen, he couldn’t hear me.

Time Check: About 9.30 a.m

It was only about five minutes later that Tatek came inside the room. He then called me a ‘Buffalo’, no thanks to my position on bed. See, I was lying down sideways and involuntarily exposing my fat butt to him. Yup. Trust me, that was not an appealing sight at all. Imagine a buffalo exposing its rear at you. What Tatek didn’t know was the fact that I was already leaking. I told him meekly that my waterbag had started to leak. He was like, “Bedek la!” (Kidding la!) But when he saw for himself the very wet me and the very wet bed, he lost his nerves. He totally lost his nerves, I tell you. He hurried me to get up from bed and proceed straight to the toilet. I was then told to remain in the toilet till my water stopped leaking. But like a leaking tap, my water did not stop gushing. It was leaking all the more. It was gushing all the more. I felt really wet and uncomfortable. I then decided to take a warm shower while Tatek breathlessly went to spread the news to my parents. My parents turned all panicky then and there, and told me to quickly rush to the hospital. They didn’t allow me to even take a shower! But I was already in the shower by then, and I still had time to condition my hair. ‘_’ I was pretty composed at that point of time. I didn’t feel any pain yet, see? I was confident labour would not take place within the next few hours. But somehow, I was not able to convince my parents and Tatek. To explain my Mak’s jumpiness, her waterbag did not leak at home when she was pregnant with all four of us. It was something totally new to her. I grabbed whatever top I could grab that did not need ironing and thought I could maybe try my luck and put on some makeup. Tatek bawled at me and told me to stop my nonsense. Looking good no matter what is never nonsensical, Tatek! Sadly with no makeup on, straight we headed to KKH. Before I left home, Mak had wanted to feed me with two half-boiled eggs. I refused as I have never been a big fan of half-boiled egg. It looks and tastes like vomit. Yucks. I only brought with me a big bottle of ‘air selusuh’ which I was told, would help me deliver smoothly. In the car, on our way to KKH, I was bored. Besides drinking ‘air selusuh’, I had nothing better to do. No contractions were felt at all. Songs played on the radio were boring. So what did I do? I took out my makeup bag, and put on some powder and gloss. I didn’t want to look like a dead chicken upon my arrival at the hospital. I wanted to look at least presentable. My water was still leaking though. Luckily I had put on 3 maternity pads to somehow stop the water from trickling down my pants. And luckily Tatek covered my seat with a very thick towel on top of a canvas sheet just so that his precious car seat would not be wet with my water. Chet!

Time Check: 10.50 a.m

We reached KKH and headed straight to the delivery suite. I practically soaked the chair I was sitting on during our registration. Kwa kwa kwa. Then, it was off to the labour ward. I asked whether I could wait a few hours more before I was admitted but no, I was not allowed to. According to them, since my waterbag had burst, it was possible for the cord to slip down below the baby. And should that happen, the pressure on the cord could cut off the baby’s blood supply. Okay, fine! Medical terminology yet again! In my mind, I was only thinking of the hospital bills. ‘_’

Time Check: About 11 a.m

I was put on the wheelchair and pushed to the labour ward. I was then given a skimpy white gown with the back side all bare. Tatek had the honour of typing the back of the gown for me. Again, it was not an appealing sight at all. My fat butt was exposed to the air. I had to lie on the bed while Tatek put on my socks for me. I felt like a queen at that point of time. He then started taking pictures of the entire labour ward while I tried to enjoy the comfort of the bed I was going to give birth on. The feeling was just so surreal at that point of time, I could not believe the very fact that I was going to give birth and see my Sharleez soon. I then started becoming impatient and prayed for the contractions to come fast. I prayed that I was already 10 cm dilated though that was really impossible. How could anyone be 10 cm dilated without any contractions at all? Very the bedek, lor! I was put on the cardiotocograph machine (‘ CTG’ ) to monitor my baby’s heart rate and to measure the intensity and regularity of my uterine contractions. Yeah baby, two different belts with sensors were attached around my abdomen! I almost felt like I was waiting to be electrocuted. The doctor on call did a vaginal exam (‘VE’) on me. I had not opened up still. Very frustrating, I tell you! My gynae then instructed for me to be induced. A tablet was inserted inside me to stimulate mild uterine contractions which would hopefully cause my cervix to dilate. I was then told to relax and watch TV. The next VE would be at 6 pm. Yup, I had to wait that long. Thank god it was a public holiday that day, so at least there was something for me to watch on TV. Tatek, who was really tired and sleepy, had his short zizz at the very comfortable couch next to my bed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Time Check: About 1 p.m

My lunch was served. Despite the lack of appetite, I tried to eat as much as I possibly could before my labour started. By then, I was already feeling very mild contractions. They were still bearable. I could still smile. I could still laugh. My pain score at that point was between 1 to 2 out of 10. Tatek then bought nuggets from MacD for me. I could only eat two. Yes Sharleez, you last had nuggets and the curry sauce before you were born.
Does anyone remember the Chicken McNugget song?
Chicken McNugget and the curry sauce.
Chicken McNugget, chicken curry even more..

Time Check: 4 p.m

The surges were getting stronger. They intensified every five minutes or so, and I was already out of breath by then. I have very low pain tolerance, remember? I started to feel disappointed with myself. I was no longer able to stand the surges. I had to grip Tatek’s hand tight, real tight. Tatek tried his very best to encourage me and he kept telling me I could do it. He kept telling me to hold on. But I simply could not. I felt like my body was being stretched apart.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Time Check: 6 p.m

The second VE was done and guess what, I was only 1.5 cm dilated! You mean, after 6 hours of unbearable pain and I was only 1.5 cm?! My mind was doing mental calculations. It would take me at least 24 hours or more before I was 10 cm dilated. The midwife then told me that she was going to induce me again but this time round, by adding Syntocinon to my drip. Syntocinon is a hormone that will make the contractions stronger, more regular, and definitely more painful. I was already in so much pain by then. What then?

Time Check 6.30 pm

The anaesthetist came in. I was told to curl up to form the letter C so that she could insert the epidural in between my spines. The surges were seriously too much to take. They were too strong till I could not even feel four to five needles of different sizes being inserted at my back. Of course these needles did not remain on my back. They were later removed. The midwife then estimated that I would be 10 cm dilated by 4 am. Great! More waiting to do, higher hospital bills to deal with.

Time Check: 6.45 pm

Not knowing what was in store for me, I felt relieved that I had decided to take the epidural for I thought I could at least breathe and wait for my cervix to be fully dilated without having to bear the pain. But what do you know baby, the epidural did not work on me!!! I was cheated! The surges were intensifying, and I felt every single one of them. I was not at all numb. I was already wincing by then, and told Tatek I couldn’t do it. I wanted to give up. And to make things worse, I kept on vomiting. The first time, I vomited all over the floor as I could not control the urge to throw up. Yes my friend, that is one of the side effects of taking epidural. I was mad at the midwife. I chose to blame her when the epidural had no effect on me. I told her I wanted the dosage of the epidural increased. She told me she would inform the anaesthetist but there she was, still lingering in the room, trying to sort out the tangled tubes. I felt like grabbing the tangled tubes and strangling her with them, I tell you! I raised my voice at her slightly and told her to hurry with the calling of the anaesthetist. She was lucky that despite the excruciating pain I was in, I only raised my voice at her. I could have screeched at her. Or bite her fat arm. Or yes, strangle her with the tubes.

Time Check: About 6.50 pm

The anaesthetist came in to increase the dosage. I then became so numb that I could not feel the lower half of my body. I could not even lift up my legs. How then would I give birth? I wondered and I fell asleep soon after.

Time Check: About 8 p.m

VE was done on me. I was 4 cm dilated.

Time Check: About 9.30 pm

VE was done again. I was 6 cm dilated.

Time Check: 11 pm

VE again. I was 10 cm dilated. (And I thought the midwife said I had to wait till 4 am!) I was ready to push. Or so I thought. The midwife called in my gynae. Meanwhile, we practiced pushing. I kept looking at the tray full of scissors of different sizes in the midst of pushing. I didn’t want to be cut open. I didn’t want to give birth via C-sect. I was so determined to give birth naturally. So I kept on practicing with the pushing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Time Check: 11.30 p.m

My gynae was in the labour ward by then. But I couldn’t push still. How to, when I couldn’t feel a thing? The midwife told me to imagine I was about to SHIT. I couldn’t even imagine lah, shithead!!! I was totally numb, how to imagine this and that?! I told her but she asked me to try. So I tried pushing but I was pushing my tummy instead. I couldn’t do it. And to make things worse, my midwife was not supportive at all. She started discouraging me and told every single nurse who came in how really bad I was at pushing. She told me I could not feel the sensation. Sensation here, sensation there. Apparently ‘sensation’ was her favourite word. So let’s call her the sensational midwife from here on. I was really annoyed by then and wanted to kick her. But too bad for me, I was numb. I couldn’t lift up my leg to kick her. So I had to remain calm. And ended up sleepy. I was seriously falling asleep. In the middle of pushing, I closed my eyes and was about to drift to dream world when the sensational midwife told me to feel the sensation yet again. Imagine falling asleep in the middle of labour! The sensational midwife told me to make it fast if I wanted a 2nd January baby. No missy, I wanted a 3rd January baby because my maternity leave started on the 3rd too! Chet!

3rd January 2007

Time Check: 12 a.m

There was still no progress. I was still as numb as numb. I was very agitated by then. I told Tatek to just keep quiet (read: shut up). I told him to stop encouraging me. Suddenly everyone in the room was annoying. I then decided to stop on the epidural. I told the sensational midwife to stop running the epidural on me. I wanted all the pain to come back, fast. I wanted to see my Sharleez so badly. I could no longer stand the nine months of suspense. Enough already.

Time Check: 12.45 am

The pain was back. I could feel the surges. The surges were so bad that I felt a very strong urge to push. I started pushing. My gynae, Dr Judy Wong, was very encouraging and told me I was doing a good job. (But of course!!) She counted from 1 to 10, and told me to push and remain pushing till she reached 10. The sensational midwife, well, she tried to be encouraging as well but she just sounded so fake. I could have kicked her if I wanted to since I could already lift up my leg then. But I did not. Pushing out my baby was more momentous. Tatek, well, he was really quiet. I had told him to keep quiet, remember? So he just held my hand tight to assure me he was there for me, no matter what. Thanks, love!

Time Check: 1.08 a.m

After 4 major pushes, my Sharleez was finally out. After 1 more push, Sharleez’s friend, Missy Placenta was out too. I threw up right after that.

The ordeal was over. When I heard that cry and saw that angelic face of hers, the pain was all gone.
(The classic statement of all mothers right after giving birth!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Yes, I wasted my money on the epidural.

Yes, my white socks had to be thrown as they were all bloody red by then.

Yes the sensational midwife asked me for the final time, “Ahhh, so did you feel the sensation when you pushed her out?”

Yes lah, nyonya!!

And yes, I now have my Sharleez.




Stop winking at me, Sharleez. Please make mummyhood easy for me!

There you have it, my very long story to aptly describe my very long labour.

Typing this entry is almost equivalent to typing a 5000 words essay. I almost felt like I was back in NIE, working on my final year project.

Now do you know why I kept prolonging this entry?

69 people like this post.
posted by admin in Birth Story,Family,Parenting,Sharleez Nadya,The Nadyas and have Comments Off on Sharleez Nadya -The Birth Story

Comments are closed.

Get Adobe Flash player